Your magic comes from ancient ties to fiends, giving you the power to summon them to do your bidding.
Starting at 1st level, you create a lasting bond with your familiar. Add your proficiency bonus to your familiar’s AC, attack rolls, and damage rolls, as well as to any skills it is proficient in. It’s hit point maximum equals its normal maximum or four times your sorcerer level, whichever is higher.
Additionally, when you take the Attack action you can forgo one of your own attacks to allow your familiar to take the Attack action.
At 1st level, you learn the true name of a particular demon.
You learn the find familiar spell and can cast it as a ritual,
When you cast the spell, your familiar is always one of the following special forms: imp or quasit. Once you choose the type of fiend you will summon, this choice is permanent, and cannot later be changed. Each time you summon your familiar, you summon this particular fiend.
At 6th level you unlock the secrets of fiendish evolution, forcing your fiend to acquire a more powerful form. At 6th level you unlock the secrets of fiendish evolution, forcing your fiend to acquire a more powerful form. Choose a number of features equal to your Charisma modifier:
- Ability Increase (requires level 14): Your familiar grows larger muscles, gains faster reflexes, achieves greater intelligence, or acquires another increase to one of its abilities. Increase one of the familiar’s ability scores by +4. This evolution can be selected more than once. It can only be applied once to each individual ability score.
- Barbed Hide (imp only): At the start of each of its turns, your familiar deals 1d6 piercing damage to any creature grappling it. At level 14 the damage increases to 1d8. At 18th level, the attack deals 1d10 damage.
- Fiendish Armor: Your familiar’s hide grows thick fur, rigid scales, or bony plates, giving it a +2 bonus to its natural armor. This evolution can be selected a second time at level 14, and a total of three times at level 18.
- Hurl Flame (imp only): Your familiar gains the ability to magically produce and throw fireballs. This is a ranged spell attack with an attack modifier equal to the infernalist’s spell attack modifier. The attack deals 1d6 fire damage. At level 14 the damage increases to 2d6. At 18th level, the attack deals 3d6 damage.
- Increased Size: Your familiar grows one size category larger. It’s strength score increases by 2. This ability may be taken more than once.
- Multiattack (requires level 14): Your familiar is able to make two attacks with it’s natural weapon. This evolution can be selected a second time at level 18, for a total of three attacks.
- Pincers (quasit only): Your familiar’s claws change into wicked pincers. When it hits a creature with a claw attack, it can use a bonus action to attempt to grapple the target.
- Prehensile Tail (imp only): When your familiar hits a creature with a tail attack, it can use a bonus action to attempt to trip the target.
- Stench (quasit only): Any creature, except the infernalist, who starts its turn within 10 feet of the familiar must succeed on a Constitution saving throw (DC = 8 + infernalist’s proficiency bonus + familiar’s Constitution modifier) or be poisoned until the start of its next turn. On a successful saving throw, the creature is immune to the familiar’s stench for 24 hours.
- Unsettling Aura: Normal animals do not willingly approach the familiar unless the animal’s master makes a DC 25 Handle Animal, Ride, or wild empathy check.
- Virulent Poison: The DC for the Constitution save to resist the familiar’s poison increases by 2. This evolution can be selected a second time at level 14, and a total of three times at level 18.
- Wicked Attacks: The damage of the familiar’s natural attack increases by one dice size (1d4 increases to 1d6, etc).
- Wings (quasit only): The familiar grows wings, granting it a fly speed of 40ft.
Starting at 14th level, the infernalist’s familiar becomes immune to the Banishment spell. The familiar can only leave the material Plane if it’s summoner dismisses it, or the familiar’s hit points are dropped to zero.
At 18th level when you cast a spell targeting yourself, you can also affect your familiar with the spell if the familiar is within 30 feet of you.
“Fiendish power sometimes manifests in unexpected places.”
- Seamus the Bard